How to get rid of Spiders
Here are some simple ways you can prevent and stop a spider infestation.
- The most effective way to fight off spiders is by targeting their food source. Look for insects around your home, such as flies, moths and butterflies. To reduce the number of spiders, you have to remove other insects on your property.
- Avoid leaving on lights at night as these may attract smaller insects that spiders consider as food. Spiders are predators in nature, and their population size is directly proportional to the amount of available food.
- Do not leave clothes that have pockets drying overnight as spiders may creep into the pockets.
- Do not leave your shoes outside uncovered.
- Cover any cracks and crevices using flexible gap fillers.
- Cover vents and weep holes with a copper mesh.
- Ensure all windows have fly screens.
- Hire a spider control expert to help you get rid of any dangerous spiders.
How do I kill a venomous spider?
If you manage to locate a spider, most people will try to crush it. However, it is best to keep minimal contact with a dangerous spider to avoid getting bitten. You can keep your distance and spray an insecticide to kill the spider. If that fails, what you can do is to get a vacuum and try to capture the spider. Just remember that after you vacuum one up, seal up the bag and stick it in the freezer overnight to kill the spider.
What should you do when you get bitten by a spider?
- Wash the injured area with soap and water.
- Apply a cold pack for 15 minutes to lessen the pain.
- If the person bitten begins to vomit or show signs of severe symptoms, rush the person to a hospital to seek immediate medical attention.
An important tip that may save a life. Remember to do this when someone gets bitten by a spider!
When a spider has bitten you, the first thing you need to do is to capture the spider. If you have an allergic reaction to the bite, you can bring the spider to the clinic or hospital. The doctors will identify the spider and determine how to treat your bite.
How can I catch a spider?
It may not be easy to capture, but you can try by carefully lowering an inverted glass or jar over them and then sliding a piece of paper underneath the opening to trap it inside. Flip the container back over and tap the paper to make the spider fall to the bottom of the jar/glass. If you do not suffer from any reaction within 6 hours, you have no allergies, and you can let the spider go outside.
What are common spiders in Australia you need to watch out for?
Funnel-web spiders grow to 10mm-50mm, excluding their legs. Large, black, aggressive and notable for their large fangs. Both male and female spiders are venomous. Because of their aggressive behaviour, funnel-web spiders have the title “Australia's most dangerous spider.”
Commonly found around the garden, the Sydney funnel-web spider can be found under logs, fallen leaves and amongst rocks. During warmer weather, the Australian funnel-web spiders do not usually wander away from their nests, preferring to hide inside their burrows while waiting for prey. Incidences of funnel-web spider bites happen due to the spider hiding out in clothing or on the bed, inadvertently pressed against a person's skin.
Red Back Spider
Redback spiders like to build their nests in the dark, undisturbed places close to the ground. Their webs are usually tiny, with a thick den spun into the centre in which the spider tends to take up residence during daytime hours.
It is important to note that once you kill a redback spider, another one would likely take its place very soon. When you find a redback spider, removing any areas that redback spiders may find appealing as a nesting or hiding place is the best thing to do.
Where can you usually find spiders in your home?
Spiders like to hide near the ground. Look in stacks of papers and piles of things, closet floors, clothing and beddings.
You should also check outdoors. Inspect piles of debris, rocks, logs, inner tubes, tyres, ditches, holes and crevices. Those are just some of the places where spiders may be hiding.
Remember that spiders like to nest in dark, undisturbed places. Try to look for spiders in any areas that fit that description.
Professional Spider Control Service
Why should you book our pest control team to help you remove or capture a spider?
It's extremely dangerous to get be near a venomous spider. We highly recommend that you book a professional exterminator to remove a dangerous spider or stop a growing spider infestation in you property.
To book our on-call spider control team, you may chat with us now or call us on (02) 8007 4666.