Spiders are nasty little pests that many people dislike simply because of their appearance. No one wants to have spiders in their home. Some spiders may even be venomous and can cause major harm. Here are some ways you can get rid of spiders in your home.
How can I prevent a spider infestation?
- The most effective way to fight off spiders is by targeting their food source. Look for insects around your home such as flies, moths and butterflies. In order to reduce the number of spiders, you have to remove other insects in your property.
- Avoid leaving on lights at night as these may attract smaller insects that spiders consider as food. Spiders are predators in nature, and the size of their population is directly proportional to the amount of food that is available.
- Do not leave clothes that have pockets drying overnight as spiders may creep into the pockets.
- Do not leave your shoes outside uncovered.
- Cover any cracks and crevices using flexible gap fillers.
- Cover vents and weep holes with a copper mesh.
- Ensure all windows have fly screens.
- Hire a spider control expert to help you get rid of any dangerous spiders.
How do I kill a venomous spider?
If you manage to locate a spider, most people will try to crush it. However, it is best to keep minimal contact with a dangerous spider to avoid getting bitten. You can keep your distance and spray an insecticide to kill the spider. If that fails, what you can do is to get a vacuum and try to capture the spider. Just remember that after you vacuum one up, seal up the bag and stick it in the freezer overnight in order to kill the spider.
What should you do when you get bitten by a spider?
- Wash the injured area with soap and water.
- Apply a cold pack for 15 minutes to lessen the pain.
- If the person bitten begins to vomit or show signs of severe symptoms, rush the person to a hospital to seek immediate medical attention.
Important tip that may save a life. Remember to do this when someone gets bitten by a spider!
When you have been bitten by a spider, the first thing you need to do is to capture the spider. In case you have an allergic reaction to the bite, you can bring the spider to the clinic or hospital. The doctors will identify the spider and determine how to treat your bite.
How can I catch a spider?
It may not be easy to capture but you can try by carefully lowering an inverted glass or jar over them and then sliding a piece of paper underneath the opening in order to trap it inside. Flip the container back over and tap the paper in order to make the spider fall to the bottom of the jar/glass. If you do not suffer from any reaction within 6 hours, then you have no allergies and you can let the spider go outside.
What are common spiders in Australia you need to watch out for?
Funnel web spiders grow to 10mm-50mm excluding their legs. Large, black, aggressive and notable for their large fangs. Both male and female spiders are venomous. Because of its aggressive behavior, funnelweb spiders have the title “Australia's most dangerous spider.”
Commonly found around the garden, the Sydney funnel-web spider can be found under logs, fallen leaves and amongst rocks. During warmer weather, the Australian funnel-web spiders do not usually wander away from their nests, preferring to hide inside their burrows while waiting for prey. Incidences of funnel-web spider bites happen as result of the spider hiding out in clothing or on the bed, being inadvertently pressed against a person's skin.
Red Back Spider
Red back spiders like to build their nests in the dark, undisturbed places that are in close proximity to the ground. Their webs are usually very small with a thick den spun into the centre in which the spider tends to take up residence during daytime hours.
It is important to note that once kill a red back spider, it is very likely that another one would take its place very soon. The best thing do when you find a red back spider is to remove any areas that red back spiders may find appealing as a nesting or hiding place.
How can you look for spiders hiding in your house?
Spiders like to hide near the ground. Look in stacks of papers and piles of things, closet floors, clothing and beddings.
You should also check outdoors. Inspect piles of debris, rocks, logs, inner tubes, tyres, ditches, holes and crevices. Those are just some of the places where spiders may be hiding.
Remember that spiders like to nest in dark, undisturbed places. Try to look for spiders in any areas that fit that description.
Why should you book our pest control team?
If you still struggle with spiders or if you want a complete pest solution that involves not only protecting your family from spiders, but also other common pests such as rats, termites, cockroaches and bed bugs, you may chat us or call us on (02) 8007 4666.
To get more tips from our pest experts, you can subscribe to our mailing list. Get a downloadable pest control guide when you join now!