Living in dark moist places leaving their droppings everywhere
Silverfish (Latin name Lepisma saccharina) is an insect that can grow up to 12-20 mm in length. They have teardrop shaped body which colour varies from white to brown-grey or bluish-silver. They look like fish and have similar movements like fishes. Silverfish have two long antennas on top of their head and three long bristles on their rear. While growing from an egg stage to adult, they do not have any visible changes in their appearance.
These insects are capable to live in most climates, but they prefer dark and moist places, with moderate temperature areas, such as attics, basements, laundry rooms, kitchen and bathrooms. Silverfish can be commonly found under sinks, bathtubs, bookcases, on closets, in wall voids, door and window frames. They can be often found in stored box full of clothes and papers in garages and storerooms.
Silverfish eat mould, fungi, carbohydrates (starch, cellulose and sugar), glue in books, shampoos, soaps, silk, linen, plants and dead insects. Sometimes they can get into unopened food packages.
Have an expert answer your silverfish question
Silverfish have a love dance before mating. Female silverfish can lay from 2 up to 20 eggs per day, depending on specie. They can produce eggs at any period of the year and they take 3 to 4 months for them to grow from larva to an adult silverfish.
Symptoms of infestation
Most time people notice silverfish on the floor of their home or in a bathtub or kitchen sink. Their feeding damage is the indicator of their presence, as well as their tiny faeces that they leave around.
Silverfish pest control
There are two ways of silverfish pest control – natural and chemical.
They both can be useful, but chemical way is much more expensive and harmful. By choosing natural pest control, you will get a much safer treatment that won’t do any harm to you, your children and pets. You have a wide range of solutions and traps for this kind of insects that can be bought at stores or made at home.
Natural silverfish pest control
By using a natural method, first step is to find all places of infestation which are typically near the source of their food. After you find these places, next step is to select the product that best fits your needs. There are many available solutions like citrus spray, spices, mothballs, diatomaceous earth, lavender oil, cucumber, cedar shaving.
- Citrus sprays – they smell like citrus and are made to eliminate bugs like silverfish because they don’t like citrus smell. It has to be sprayed in all places that have been infested.
- Spices – silverfish don’t like spices like bay leaves, whole cloves and sage because of their strong scent. Place these spices in thin sachet near places of infestation. It will turn them away from coming back to that place.
- Mothballs – insects like silverfish can’t stand their smell. Good way is to place them where insects are seen often.
- Diatomaceous earth – it causes dehydration on bugs that ends with their death. It comes as a white powder and is lethal to pests and not for people and their pets. By dusting areas where silverfish can hide, they will die just from walking through powder. Diatomaceous earth is useful as long as it is dry.
- Lavender oil – bugs will stay away from it because of its scent. Mixing a teaspoon of concentrated lavender oil with some water, and by placing it on areas where silverfish have been seen, you will clear them from your home. Spray that mixture on the walls, carpet, cupboard doors, on furniture and other places where bugs can be found. Allow that surfaces to dry and repeat that procedure from time to time.
- Cucumber – silverfish also don’t like cucumber smell. Put thick slices of cucumber in places where they might appear. Change the dried slices with fresh ones.
- Cedar shavings – it can be used for getting rid of silverfish in the shape of cedar shavings or pieces.
Chemical silverfish pest control
If you choose to use chemical products to get rid of this pest, you have to know that you will pay much more by buying silverfish pest control products or hiring professional services for extermination. You also have to be aware that neither way will guarantee success.
Liquid pyrethrin is most used chemical product for silverfish extermination. By spraying it on the cracks of furniture, doors and windows you will kill adult silverfish but you won’t harm their eggs.
Boric acid is the other solution for killing silverfish. It is powder and is used in small amounts on infested areas. If it gets moist, just use it again.
Baits and traps
There are many traps on the market that can be used for silverfish extermination and they can be cheap and safe to use. One of them is moist and rolled up newspapers. You tie them with elastics and leave them overnight to catch these bugs. Next day they might be full of silverfish and you just throw it in garbage outside the house. Repeat this method every night until you rid them all.
Take the glass jar and mask it with a tape. You can fill it with bread or with water and few teaspoons of sugar as bait. Place that jar near infested places. Silverfish will climb up the tape and will fall in the jar. They will die in jar because they are not able to climb up the slick sides of the jar.
Sticky traps are also effective and you can buy them in any local hardware store. These traps attract bugs which then get stuck in glue. For silverfish baits you can use moist cotton and starchy food items.
You should act fast in taking care of silverfish infestation because they reproduce very quickly and are clingier than most people believe. If you don’t treat them, they will cause damage to your home and make it much expensive to get rid of them after. Masters Pest Control Sydney have natural ways which is safer for people and their pets. Do not expect to turn the silverfish to run away of your home in one day because this process of permanent extermination of silverfish takes some time. Give the natural way a couple of tries and don’t forget about sanitation. That will prevent re infestation of bugs and save you lot of time and money. If that fails, you can always revert to the chemical methods and call your local pest controller for help.
Masters Pest Control Sydney
At Masters Pest Control Sydney, we have a team of experts that will help you with all your pest management issues. Our knowledge, our skills, our expertise and our pest management solutions are unmatched across all of Sydney. We can solve silverfish problems and other pest such as termites, rats, spiders, cockroaches, bed bugs and much more, fast and with the minimum of fuss using pet and child friendly methods and tailored silverfish management solutions.
Pest control is what we do best. We are professionally trained, insured and licensed in all areas of residential and commercial fumigation. We provide eco-friendly pest control treatments that are child & pet friendly. If you still struggle with pest issues or if you want a complete pest solution that protects your family from any harmful effects, check out our professional services below: